Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Before the Manger

I have a very dear member of my family, who is of a very practical turn of mind.
She likes to say things like, "Yes but you have to live in the real world" and "well you just have to get on with it don't you" And she knows what she is talking about much more than I do, she has lived the most self giving, generous (and hard) life of anyone I know. She knows we love her very dearly (don't you ;0) She is unassumingly wonderful, kind and (though she may not like me to divulge....she has the warmest of hearts.)
From her I have learned so much, gifts of the "soul kind"
And she is right, we (I) do have to live in the real world and yes, we do sometimes, whether we like it or not, just have to get on with it. Circumstances can be harsh, crushingly so.
So I was pondering on all this as I was driving home from the shop this morning, my two year old hiccupping breathless sobs after having a tantrum on the way to the car because she wanted to ride in the trolley instead of her baby sister and there was only space for one.
Mmmm, Yes this is the real world, difficult at times, frustrating, often painful, intimidating, fearful, matierialistic, fast paced, individualistic, and as a Christian I also have to live in it. I can't run and hide, cut myself off, seperate completly and permanently. Jesus certainly didn't.
He " just got on with it."
And so must we all.
You know the old children's song about going on a bear hunt and coming to the forest singing
" you can't go over it, you can't go under it, you have to go through it"
Well we all do have to "go through it" Yet... something very wonderful can happen to the "it" we have to go through when we face struggle with the faith and love and hope of God, I'm thinking. The way this lovely person does, so beautifully, unfalteringly, with dignity and grace. Can I too ?
When there is so much pain there seems no hope, yet we still hope. When there is so much darkness we can't see even our next step, yet we still walk with courage and faith. When we are hurt deeply and intentionally, yet still rise from the ground with love and forgivness in our heart. Something, truly, stunningly wonderful happens. Something that transforms the bleakness, harshness and darkness of the world with the power of God's love.
He does not want us to discard the world, like a piece of litter, He loves the world and all people as we love our own children, but more so, our calling ( my calling) is to live it's sorrows and joys through His gifts of faith, hope and love. To see the beauty in the ugliness and the hope in the darkness.
Which in turn, transforms ourselves, and all those we come in contact with. It adorns the ugliness with authentic beauty, and nurtures hope like a tender shoot through the darkness.
Advent becomes not simply a season, it becomes a way of walking, waiting, loving, being. A walking in faith (to a little stable), a waiting in hope (for the birth of the child), a loving in suffering (the way of the cross the way to life).
So I can walk slow to the the Lords pace. Even when it feels like the world is rushing by like a motion blurred photograph around me, I can take joy from a frost coverered leaf or berry. When there is a pull to buy more and more, I can turn away and instead give more and live a little more simply. And live that simplicity and with hope in my heart. When there is struggle and frustration I can use His love, wisdom and patience to "come through it". When there is mess, and anxiety, I can look to His face and trust, "come throught it."
And in a very small way I can bring that "coming through it" as a gift before the manger.

( With thanks to Kath for the inspiration. we
LOVE you so :0)

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, going on a bear hunt... I can relate... and those are good words to remember... got-to-go-through-it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words indeed, Suzy - and just right for Advent. I'm delighted that your lives have been graced and touched by the kindness and example of such a good friend!
    God bless you all at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have a horrible anxiety problem. Then I realized that fear is the most impractical emotion there is. It prevents proaction. I think that applies to other areas too. The other day I came up from making breakfast and Brad said, "I kept hearing the baby crying and the kids yelling and fighting. How do you not go insane?" Because going insane would be rather selfish and impractical! I'd love to go insane, but then who would make the bed? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is stunning, suzy. i love this:
    but more so, our calling ( my calling) is to live it's sorrows and joys through His gifts of faith, hope and love. To see the beauty in the ugliness and the hope in the darkness.

    beautiful truth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.