Thursday, August 20, 2009

JOY (a post revisted from the archives)

Happiness.
There are definitely two kinds.
The first kind is conditional.
The second kind is unconditional.
What does this mean?
Well the first kind is dependant upon my external circumstances. It is integral to what I have and what I am able to do.
It's about my own expectations and how I live up to them. It's about making my own rules and sticking to them (however suffocating they may be). It's about setting my own standards and trying to live up to them however different they mey be from God's standards and priorities for my life.
It's all about satiating that which I am unsatisfied with instead of finding contentment with what I have been given.
In real terms, it comes down to having a long hot soak in a bubble bath as opposed to the typical mummy's military shower at the first light of dawn!
It comes down to being able to read through a novel uninterrupted on a Sunday afternoon as opposed to the same dog-eared half chewed ABC storybook, for the tenth time before lunchtime.
It comes down to doing as I want, when I want and having what I want how I want it.
Parenthood challenges this definition of happiness. It shakes the foundations of this building and knocks it clean to the ground.
Once the dust has cleared what is left in the debris is the second kind of happiness.
The unconditional kind of happiness.
This kind of happiness looks a little different from what we have come to suspect. It can take a while before we recognise it:0)
This kind of happiness lends itself more to the word joy.
God Blesses this kind of happiness :0)
Joy finds miracles in the ordinary.
Joy finds the sacred in the everyday.
Joy sees the beautiful painting before the mess on the kitchen table.
Joy sees the rainbow instead of the rain
A few little words on Joy
It is the consciousness of the threefold joy of the Lord, His joy in ransoming us, His joy in dwelling within us as our Saviour and Power for fruit bearing and His joy in possessing us, as His Bride and His delight; it is the consciousness of this joy which is our real strength. Our joy in Him may be a fluctuating thing: His joy in us knows no change. James Hudson Taylor
Any one can sing in the sunshine. You and I should sing on when the sun has gone down, or when clouds pour out their rain, for Christ is with us. Anonymous
Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God. Robert Schuller
Joy is prayer - Joy is strength - Joy is love - Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls. God loves a cheerful giver. She gives most who gives with joy. The best way to show our gratitude to God and the people is to accept everything with joy. A joyful heart is the inevitable result of a heart burning with love. Never let anything so fill you with sorrow as to make you forget the joy of the Christ risen. Mother Teresa
Joy, not grit, is the hallmark of holy obedience. We need to be light-hearted in what we do to avoid taking ourselves too seriously. It is a cheerful revolt against self and pride. Our work is jubilant, carefree, merry. Utter abandonment to God is done freely and with celebration. And so I urge you to enjoy this ministry of self-surrender. Don't push too hard. Hold this work lightly, joyfully. The saints throughout the ages have witnessed to this reality.... You know, of course, that they are not speaking of a silly, superficial, bubbly kind of joy like that flaunted in modern society. No, this is a deep, resonant joy that has been shaped and tempered by the fires of suffering and sorrow; joy through the cross, joy because of the cross. Richard J. Foster
Happiness depends on happenings; joy depends on Christ. Anonymous
Where others see but the dawn coming over the hill, I see the soul of God shouting for joy. William Blake
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law (Galatians 5:22)”
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. (John 15:11)"
JOY
Jesus Others Yourself
(Jesus: first, others: second, yourself: last)

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. What joy indeed.

    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Suzy. You beat me to it. Joy is next on my list! Lovely photo too. Inspiring as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Suzy, great post as ever. It's always a joy to come here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children are a gift from God. I love your blog.
    If you would like to exchange links let me know. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzy,
    I nominated you for the Mathetes Award for Excellence in Discipleship. Check it out on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I really enjoy reading your blog! How inspiring! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THankyou all for your gnerous and kind comments.
    Dymphna, that is so kind of you :0)
    nominated twice! I can't believe it:0)
    Welcome Lance, it's nice to "meet" you.
    I will definatly go and check out your blog:0)
    Welcome a truckers wife,THankyou for taking the time to leave such lovely comments, they are really appreciated.
    God Bless
    Suzyxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post, thank you.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts.